Town of
Granby
History

Bowen's Corners General Store (Click to Enlarge)
Table Of Contents:
The Town of Granby (population 7,009) is in southwest Oswego County.  Settled in 1792, the town was formed from Hannibal in 1818.  Located on the west bank of the Oswego River, the town had adequate water power, especially at Oswego Falls (now in City of Fulton.)  Thew Syracuse and Oswego Railroad (1848) passed through the town and encouraged woolen factories in the Civil War era.  When Southern produce became unavailable during the war, tobacco was raised for a time.  In the late 19th century it became a dairy town but also produced potatoes and strawberries on the upland and lettuce and onions on the muck-land.  Many residents worked in Fulton, Oswego, and elsewhere.
Contacts:
Historian
Joyce Bogdziewcz
Office of Historian
820 County Route 8
Fulton, NY 13069
Email:
Phone: 315-598-6500 ext 226

  

Images:
Train Station at South Granby (Click to Enlarge)
Austin's at Home (Click to Enlarge)